Saturday, November 21, 2015

BEFORE THE POLICE - BACK IN THE DAY - OUR FOREMOTHERS WERE THE LAW WE FEARED

Blog by +Wanda Dorn 
BEFORE THE POLICE  -  BACK IN THE DAY  -  OUR FOREMOTHERS WERE THE LAW WE FEARED

I saw this post somewhere.  

Beating and chastising are two different things. When Blacks refer to the "law we feared", I think we are referring more to the respect we had for the Black female mothers and matriarchs than sparing the rod.

Back then, in Black culture we knew if you didn't disciplined your own child, that child could become a statistic.That's what these ladies represented.They not only raised their children, but they raised the extended family's and communities' children as well.  

It was not until we became so acculturated, and is now required by law not to spank our children, that's when we began to have discipline problems with our children. In those days,  children knew not only their parents would stop them from being mischievous, the neighbor's mother, or another relative, or "Sister (whoever)" who lives down the street would do so. 

I remember being mischievous once - my cousin and I dressing up in my Aunt's (her mother's) best clothes.  We got spanked by my Grandmother first when she saw us strolling down the street to her house dressed in big dresses, hats and gloves (not my Aunts old clothes, but her very best. Then my when Aunt arrived, she spanked us,  and when my mother found out, she came over and --- I got it again! I never went into anyone else's house and disrespected it again - not even today!

A client in one of my Personality Development classes said, when she was young, her brother had been harassed by a gang to join their gang. This gang, she said. was not even part of her neighborhood, they were spreading out from another neighborhood. One day when several gang members approached their house, their mother and grandmother went out and confronted the gang, and told them to stay out of their neighborhood. Back then, the women were feared. The gang members never returned! 

It's interesting to note that after these traditions were castrated by the system by taking the discipline control from these thy women,  jails became full of Black children.

These are my thoughts.  On my blog comment section: 

TELL ME WHAT YOUR THOUGHTS ARE ON THIS SUBJECT!


No comments:

Post a Comment