Saturday, March 28, 2015

EMMETT TILL - THE CATALYST FOR THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT

Blog by +Wanda Dorn      #wandascafe


Films/EmmettTill.jpg
I grew up just doors down the street from Emmett Till in this affluent Black community on the South Side of Chicago they talked about in the video.  I vividly remember Emmett's photo that remained in front of his home while I lived there.  Thusly, of course, this history is very stirring to me.  My Stepfather was from a town adjacent to the store the murderers owned.  We visited that town after they were acquitted, and they didn't serve Blacks in their store.  The comments of others that I have read here echoes one of my favorite adages that "If we don't learn from history, we're bound to repeat it".  I commend the young people of today who are studying their history so that those who would, by commission or omission, will not be able to use their ignorance to cause history to repeat itself.  I'm confident today's young people won't dismiss history and say "I don't need to know this"; that they will continue to work toward continued change, write our history as they have earned it, and not let others write our history or allow this ugly form of history to repeat itself. 
                  
https://www.facebook.com/wanda.dorn
https://plus.google.com/+WandaDorn/

No comments:

Post a Comment